It is generally accepted that the course was designed by the renowned course architect, James Braid, in the early 1900’s. His skill as a course architect is apparent from the 18 – hole layout in terrain which might well have been beyond a lesser talent. The course was almost closed and returned to agricultural use in 1916 but was retained by the then owner, Major Shelley-Bontein, as a rest and recuperation facility for service personnel based in Oban during WWI. 

The military connection exists to the present day with two of the clubs’ trophies, the Isis and Stokes Cups, having been presented respectively by HMS Isis and Captain Stokes, a naval officer, stationed in Oban during WWII. 


alt text

Our Partners